The second parcel, which I alluded to in my previous post, was from another Canadian fibre producer. Val, from Wooly Wool of the West contacted me via Ravelry when she saw my ISO (in search of) postings on various forums.
I spent numerous hours playing with it once I had it secured to a sturdy table. Firstly, to get the motion down, I combed through a couple ounces of merino roving that I purchased a while ago that was full of little pieces of hay and grass aka “VM”.
Because Merino does not have a long staple, I found it difficult to use the comb and hackle, but managed to get a small bag of wonderfully soft and nearly vm-free fibre. I spun a small amount of it and am very happy with the results.
My second attempt, this time with cotswold locks also purchased from Wooly Wool of the West, stashed Firestar & Silk, as well as Lincoln Locks from Neauveau Fiber Arts . Long, curly locks comb very nicely on my new tools.
After two passes, I found that I had made beautifully blended and lofty fibre.
I dizzed off two lengths of wonderful green and sparkly top, which I spun up on a home made top-whorl drop spindle, then plied it together from a centre pull ball.
Making a wonderful skein of dk weight yarn with lots of halo.